As noted this forum allows access only via identity federations, but there are many users which may not have institutinal identity providers. This topic explains the general procedure for new users that come to the forum and do not have an existing institutional identity provider.
What does this even mean ?
Did we lose you in the first sentence ? Jargon can be tough, and we mean to be a friendly community, where the technical stuff just dissolves into the background so that you can get work done. If you're confused about the whole "Identity Federation" thing, don't be - it's just a way for us to let people log into this forum. If you're curious, let the good folks at Geant TV explain it to you :
This video describes identity federation and the eduGAIN project, which this forum is a part of.
Does this apply to me ?
If you're not from an institute which is part of an identity federation (see a map here), then you're probably going to need a way to identify yourself other than your university or lab credentials (user name and password). For this, we provide a "Catch-All Identity Provider", which anyone can use, worldwide.
Note that the Catch-All Identity Provider is a means of providing access to new members who may not have any other way of signing in. It is to be used only as a last resort, and temporarily until the user's institute can put up an identity provider.
If you need to register with the Catch-All Identity Provider, there is a 3-step process which needs to be followed.
- You :
1.Click on the blue "login" link on the forum front page (top-right)
Select a federation - select the "GrIDP" Catch All federation (Second box below)
Select an Identity Provider - select the "GrIDP Open" Catch-All identity provider (First box below)
Register : click on the "register" button beneath the form (right under "Sign In")
Provide your identity and provenance - tell us your contact details, email address and which institute and country you come from. This will be used later to validate your identity
Validate the request - when you submit the request, an email is sent to the address you provided in order to validate the request. You need to click on the link in this email in order to inform the administrators of the IDP. If you do not receive the email in a few minutes, please check the spam folder of your email client.
- Once a request is received after your validation, the administrators of the Identity Provider will process your request. This is done by checking the details you provided and accepting or rejecting the request.
- The administrators may contact you in order to check specific details, especially if your request is not referred by a colleague or if you come from a new institute or country that the IDP does not yet have in the database.
- Once your request has been approved, you will be able to log in to all federation services, including the forum. An email will be sent to you with this confirmation.
- Repeat as above, but instead of "register", provide the username and password you chose during the registration phase.
- you will be logged into the forum, and can edit your profile, after reading the "getting started" FAQ